Many nursing home residents are at high risk of falling and elderly people are much more likely to suffer serious injury in a fall.
Some falls are unavoidable but nursing homes would avoid most accidents if they took reasonable care.
The nursing home should at least:-
- Make an assessment of the mobility needs of each resident,
- Keep that assessment up to date,
- Take steps to minimises the risk of falls,
- Employ properly trained staff to supervise each resident,
- Provide residents with any necessary mobility aids,
- Keep a record all falls and report these to the resident’s family.